The International Cricket Council
Glossary Development and Translation into 8 languages
"What is Cricket Glossary of Terms" developed and translated into Arabic, French, German, Indonesian, Japanese, Portuguese, Mandarin and Spanish.
About the Project
A strategic focus of the International Cricket Council (ICC) is to promote awareness, participation and interest in the sport of cricket globally. As part of its ongoing global initiatives to achieve this goal, the ICC has identified several markets in which it will actively promote the sport, educate potential fans and train young athletes. In order to effectively communicate and engage with its target audience, the ICC has selected a series of resources to localize in order to appeal to each of these markets, its members, and current and potential fans.
The development of multilingual resources has been prioritized as a key enabler to support participation growth, particularly within local indigenous communities that may not have a traditional connection to cricket. "We believe that providing resources in several languages to current and future cricket followers around the world will enhance cricket's global growth," said Tim Anderson, ICC's Global Development Manager. An analysis was conducted to help to prioritize which resources should be translated and into which languages.
Following this analysis and due to its valuable contribution to encouraging understanding and participation amongst indigenous populations, the "What is Cricket Glossary of Terms" was selected. The "Glossary of Terms" has been developed and translated into Arabic, French, German, Indonesian, Japanese, Portuguese Mandarin and Spanish. "This is an important step in cricket's strategic vision of becoming a bigger, better global game," said Mr Anderson.
About the Solution
Globalization Partners International (GPI) provided Glossary Development and Terminology Management Services to the ICC. Glossary development for a client is a critical first step in ensuring client and industry-specific terminology are collected, researched, and accurately and consistently translated throughout the localization process. Terminology management is an important, ongoing effort to ensure new key terms are added and maintained in the client's glossary from project to project. Glossary development is a collaborative process and is best completed with client review and approval.
The services GPI provided to the ICC included:
- Reference materials were collected
- The ICC materials were reviewed for key terminology
- Previous translations and glossaries were reviewed for accuracy and usability
- Key terms were added to the glossary
- GPI completed an automated and manual review to extract terms from the materials provided
- Extracted terms were reviewed to determine their relevancy and added to the glossary accordingly
- Terminology research was completed for the identified key terms and then translated
- The glossaries were provided in InDesign and PDF formats to the ICC, however, other formats are available based on client-specified requirements including, Word, Excel, Trados, MultiTerm etc.
- The localized glossary was presented to the ICC to review and approve the translation of all key terms
- Approved glossaries were imported into the ICC's terminology memory (translation memory) database to ensure accuracy and consistency on all future projects.
About the Client
The International Cricket Council (ICC) is the global governing body for international cricket, encompassing men's, women's and youth participation and competition. The ICC currently has 106 member countries, including 10 Full Members, 37 Associate Members and 59 Affiliate Members. As a leading global sport, it is intended that cricket will captivate and inspire people of every age, gender, background and ability, while building bridges between continents, countries and communities.
The ICC's mission is to lead World Cricket by:
- Providing a world class environment for international cricket
- Delivering "major" events across three formats
- Providing targeted support to Members
- Promoting the global game
The Pepsi ICC Development Programme is tasked with building a bigger, better global game by assisting the 96 Associate and Affiliate Members (AMs) to grow and improve the standard of cricket within their territories.
The ICC has set an ambitious strategic target of more than doubling the current participation numbers in AMs to over 1.5 million participants by 2015.
Thank You! Your download will start shortly ...×
- The International Cricket Council
- Glossary Development and Translation
- Microsoft Windows
- Arabic, French, German, Indonesian, Japanese, Portuguese, Mandarin and Spanish
- Adobe InDesign, Trados, MS Word