Brazilian Portuguese Software Translation
Brazilian Portuguese Software Translation
Your software source code must be completely "globalized" in
order to ensure that your Brazilian Portuguese software translation
is completely accurate and has been fully adapted to the Brazilian
markets you intend to enter. "Globalization" refers to the basic
process of creating software that functions in any market in the
Not all translation companies are equal to the tasks posed by a Brazilian Portuguese software translation project. While selecting a Brazilian Portuguese translation agency to translate your software into Brazilian Portuguese, you should investigate their capabilities in the following areas:
- Brazilian Portuguese Software Translators: Brazilian Portuguese software translation projects should be executed by qualified, native-speaking, professional software translators who specialize in the technical areas required by your company. Such translators should be experienced with issues specific to software translation. These include the proper translation of dialog boxes, error messages, and buttons, standard user interface terminology, and software localization workflows.
- Brazilian Portuguese Software Terminology Management: Text strings that have been externalized from various file formats are translated using translation memory tools like Trados. Client-specific glossaries and terminology databases result from this activity. The valuable data contained in the translation memories becomes the proprietary property of the client and ensures consistent translations throughout all software components, creating an authentic user-experience for targeted Brazilian users.
- Brazilian Portuguese Software Component Translation: Text extracted from source files such as Java, XML, ASP.NET, C/C++, C#, Visual Basic, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and others must be translated by a qualified translation company. Related components, such as online help and printed documentation like user guides or packaging, are often translated along with related software. Common documentation file types include PDF, Adobe InDesign, QuarkXpress, Illustrator, and MS Word.
Brazilian Portuguese Software Localization
Software localization is the process of adapting the language, appearance, and functionality of a software application for Brazil. Experienced teams of native-speaking localization professionals should execute Brazilian Portuguese software localization projects in conjunction with your own software developers, ensuring that best practices for global software development are followed.
All of your software components should be localized to make your product relevant for Brazilian users. Localized software components include the user interface, online help, databases, graphics, and documentation. All components must be properly localized and rigorously tested to ensure the resulting Brazilian Portuguese software is linguistically, culturally, cosmetically and functionally correct.
The translation company you choose for localization should have verifiable experience and a comprehensive localization methodology, which includes:
- localization kit review, analysis, and preparation
- Glossary and terminology development
- Cultural correctness assessment
- Software build capability
- Online quality assurance
- Translation, editing, and proofreading of the user interface, help, and documentation content
- Graphics localization, dialog resizing, and screen capturing
- Usability, localization, and functionality testing
- Client review and approval
You will need to provide your translation company with all relevant source files, collectively referred to as a "Brazilian Portuguese Localization Kit." These files allow your translation agency to analyze your software and to determine its requirements for Brazilian Portuguese localization. The localization kit includes:
- All files in your development environment, specifically resource files (for example, RC, RC2, DLG, H, HH, CPP, EXE, DLL, and graphic file formats)
- All online help source files (for example, graphics, RTF, VBS, HTML, CNT/HHX/HHC)
- Reference material (glossaries, past translations, style guides, etc.)
- File names and types, including an explanation of each file's purpose
- The name and version of development, documentation, and online help authoring tools
- The location (directories/files) of any hard-coded literals which are in the user interface
- All documentation source files (for example, PDF or MS Word)
- Original files of any third-party applications/components used
- Detailed build instructions
- Test plan and test scripts
Brazilian Portuguese Software Internationalization (I18n)
Software internationalization for Brazilian Portuguese deals
primarily with a software application's functionality, enabling
back-end technologies to function or support Brazilian Portuguese.
Software internationalization is the first step in ensuring that
your software application is interoperable on a global basis. Any
language- or culture-specific assumptions in your software
application's code base are "neutralized" during software
internationalization. At the end of the process your application
will be optimized for efficient localization into Brazilian
Your translation company should have demonstrable experience in handling software internationalization issues for Brazilian Portuguese, including:
- Reviewing and analyzing a software application's source code
- Resolving issues related to address, time, date, currency, and numerical formats for Brazilian Portuguese
- Externalizing text strings to ease translation into Brazilian Portuguese, including hard-coded text strings and text within graphics
- Software testing, bug reporting and bug fixing
Brazilian Portuguese Software Testing
Targeted Brazilian software users have the same high standards
for functionality as users of the original software. In order to
meet Brazilian software users' expectations, a translation company
must use experienced Brazilian software testers and follow a
defined software testing process.
Brazilian Portuguese software testing should be executed by professional, native-speaking specialists, regardless of whether it is performed on-site or off-site. Working from a thorough test plan and test scripts/cases, the Brazilian testing team will use a combination of automated and manual tests, as well as bug tracking tools to locate and resolve critical software defects before release.
Brazilian software testing professionals (typically translators and engineers) usually work side-by-side with a client's own expert users to go through the following software testing phases:
Brazilian Portuguese Software Internationalization Testing
Source language software must be tested by software testing professionals for international support and localizability before Brazilian Portuguese software translation can commence. Software internationalization testing for Brazilian Portuguese saves time and money by exposing potential problem areas early in the localization process.
Brazilian Portuguese Software Localization Testing
After Brazilian Portuguese software translation, testing specialists review the translated software in context to check for any linguistic or cosmetic issues. All language-related issues for a localized application are dealt with by linguistic testing. These include locale-specific text, currency symbols and more. Visual issues such as the proper display of menus, messages and dialog boxes are covered by linguistic testing.
Brazilian Portuguese Software Functionality Validation or Testing
After your software has been localized for Brazilian Portuguese, tests are performed using a variety of platforms and test scripts to verify that your application works properly for your targeted Brazilian Portuguese users. Testing priorities at this phase include (a) verifying that the application installs correctly and (b) that all features function as they did in the original source language version of the application.
For useful tips on Brazilian market and Portuguese language, please check out our blog posts:
- Top Challenges with Brazilian Portuguese Translations
- Brazilian Portuguese Website Localization and E-Business
- Software Translation, Software Localization and Software Internationalization
- Why Internationalize Your Code Base
You may also check out Portuguese Language Translation for complete information in Portuguese Language.
- More Information
- Brazilian Portuguese Writing System
- The Brazilian Portuguese Language
- Brazilian Portuguese Document Translation
- Brazilian Portuguese Localization
- Brazilian Portuguese Software Translation
- Brazilian Portuguese Translation Agency
- Brazilian Portuguese Translation Services
- Brazilian Portuguese Website Translation
- English to Portuguese Translation