Thai Internationalization (I18n) can be defined as the process of enabling back-end technologies to function or support Thai. Localization, on the other hand, deals primarily with the front-end or linguistic and cosmetic aspects of a Thai software application or Web site, including locale-specific content, cultural correctness, translations, and design.
Some of the reasons for internationalizing are to ensure your Thai application or Web site:
- Supports non-English characters and the bidirectional (right-to-left) writing system used in Thai;
- Sorts based on Thai language rules;
- Allows the externalization of all translatable text strings (i.e., separating text from code);
- Handles the different address, time, date, and numerical formats used in Thai.
The process of Thai internationalization may include the following four steps:
- Discovery - Includes the preparation of a Thai internationalization kit and an analysis of the current internationalization readiness of the source Web site or software application.
- Assessment - Includes review and analysis of
- Source architecture and source code of Web site or software application.
- Global marketing plans and requirements.
- Design, development and build processes.
- Current I18N and localization strategies.
- Implementation - Includes the following:
- Externalizing text strings for ease of localization.
- Resolving any currency, time, date, or numbers issues.
- Enabling double-byte characters or bidirectional writing.
- Creating an I18n-friendly build methodology.
- Preparing an I18n test plan.
- Preparing a localization kit.
- Carrying out training on I18n.
- Introduction of I18n tools and any required tool training.
- Testing - Includes client-driven I18n and
DBCS-enablement testing, bug reporting/fixing and regression
For more information on Internationalization, please see our Quick Facts Library or follow one of the links listed above.
- More Information
- The Thai Language
- The Thai Writing System
- Thai Certified Translations
- Thai Document Translation
- Thai Internationalization
- Thai Localization
- Thai Medical Translations
- Thai Software Internationalization
- Thai Software Localization
- Thai Software Testing
- Thai Software Translation
- Thai Technical Translation
- Thai Technical Translations
- Thai Translation Agencies
- Thai Translation Companies
- Thai Translation Services
- Thai Translations
- Thai Translators
- Thai Website Internationalization
- Thai Website Localization
- Thai Website Testing
- Thai Website Translation