Time management is an essential business skill that everyone needs to acquire. Whether you are a programmer, a translator, a marketer, a CEO or even a student, you need to manage your time effectively to accomplish tasks and boost productivity. We all have the same 24 hours in a day, but some people seem to have much more time. The secret lies in good time management skills.
Have you ever found yourself procrastinating a task until you are running out of time without actually achieving anything or do you feel that you have so much to do and not enough time?
The reason for this can be poor time management skills. We need to look closely at our daily habits to see why it is hard to achieve our tasks on time. Life is full of so many distractions and when you are trying to accomplish projects you may find yourself wasting time on activities like answering unnecessary phone calls, checking your social media accounts or watching TV.
The key to successful time management is to reduce distractions, eliminate time wasting habits and focus on the important tasks you need to do. You will never realize how much time you are really wasting until you start making good use of it. Time management is not a standalone skill, it is a group of skills that are developed and perfected with practice.
Here are some tips on how to manage your time effectively:
- Make a schedule. Before the start of the day, make a list of all the tasks you have to complete during the day and assign proper deadlines. This will help you stay focused on what is most important.
- Prioritize. After setting your goals and writing your list of tasks, decide which tasks should be done first. This will give you a sense of achievement when you begin crossing those items off your list.
- Start Early. Waking up 30 minutes earlier will give you more time to plan for the day. This will help you avoid stress and will also allow you to develop morning rituals, like exercising or making your favorite cup of coffee, which will start your day off in a positive way.
- Plan. Some may believe that rushing into work immediately without planning saves time. The opposite is closer to the truth. Taking a few minutes for wise planning saves hours of work. “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” Abraham Lincoln
- Stay off the internet. If it’s difficult for you to avoid browsing the internet or checking social media, there are many blocking apps that you can install to help you focus on the task at hand.
- Take breaks: It will not do you any good to spend your whole day working. It will burn you out and reduce your productivity. Taking breaks to listen to some music, go for a short walk or stretch can help you clear your head.
Developing and practicing time management skills to decide which work best for you and your environment is a never ending process. Not all tips and tricks will work for you, but you should try different tactics and see which ones produce the best outcome for you and your productivity.
Managing your time properly is not only crucial for your career, but also for your personal life. Completing your tasks and projects and meeting deadlines will give you more time to do the things you want like spending time with family and friends, practicing hobbies and traveling more. It will help you achieve the life balance that everyone is pursuing, but remember that effective time management is about working smarter, not working harder.