The American Chamber of Commerce in Bahrain (AmCham Bahrain) is a prominent organization tasked with strengthening business opportunities between the United States and Bahrain. In this blog, I will cover information on the purpose and membership of AmCham Bahrain, which is a member of the global network of American Chambers of Commerce.
AmCham Bahrain is a private, non-profit, non-political business association that was formed in 2006. It was created to capitalize on the Free Trade Agreement between the U.S. and Bahrain. AmCham Bahrain’s members include Fortune 500 corporations, SMEs, not-for-profits and individual business leaders.
AmCham Bahrain Objectives
- Promote Bahrain as the regional center to conduct business throughout the Middle East.
- Promote the development of trade, commerce and investment between Bahrain and the U.S.
- Be a direct liaison with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and equivalent chambers of commerce and business organizations in Bahrain and, to be a forum for non-political dialogue between the local American business community; and public and private interests and enterprises in Bahrain.
- Provide a forum where American business executives in Bahrain and other business executives with American interests may identify, discuss and promote issues and activities of mutual interest.
- Work with individuals and organizations in Bahrain on matters of mutual interest.
- Attract and represent member firms and individuals with U.S. interests who are engaged in the Bahrain marketplace, penetrating and expanding market segments and investing in Bahrain for the long term.
AmCham Bahrain Membership
The chamber’s members are comprised mostly of American companies doing business in Bahrain and Bahraini companies hoping to trade with the U.S. The chamber helps boost its members’ visibility and connections in both the U.S. and Bahrain.
AmCham Bahrain is run by member company representatives in collaboration with the U.S. Embassy in Manama and regional development agencies. AmCham Bahrain is accredited by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and is affiliated with 115 American Chambers of Commerce worldwide as well as the U.S.-Bahrain Business Council (USBBC).
AmCham Bahrain also has a cooperation agreement with a network of business leaders in the Middle East and North Africa Region through AmCham MENA and the Middle East Council for American Chambers of Commerce (MECACC).
AmCham MENA includes Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. Their objective is increased member collaboration and cooperation and to promote greater business opportunities between the U.S. and the MENA region.
Organizations like AmCham Bahrain are great for developing business relationships and opportunities between U.S. and Bahraini companies. It allows businesses to gain a real understanding of the cultural and language differences in the business environment, as well as an understanding of the issues impacting U.S. companies operating in the Kingdom of Bahrain.