Simplified Chinese internationalization (I18n) can be defined as the process of enabling back-end technologies to function or support the Chinese language and the locales in which it is used. Localization, on the other hand, deals primarily with the front-end or linguistic and cosmetic aspects of a Chinese-language software application or website, including locale-specific content, cultural correctness, translations, and design.
Some of the reasons for internationalizing are to ensure your Chinese-language application or website:
- Sorts based on Chinese language rules;
- Allows the externalization of all translatable text strings (i.e., separating text from code);
- Handles the different address, time, date, and numerical formats used in Chinese.
The process of Simplified Chinese internationalization may include the following four steps:
1) Discovery – includes the preparation of a Simplified Chinese internationalization kit and an analysis of the current internationalization readiness of the source website or software application.
2) Assessment – includes review and analysis of the following:
- Source architecture and source code of website or software application.
- Global marketing plans and requirements.
- Design, development and build processes.
- Current I18N and localization strategies.
3) Implementation – includes the following:
- Externalizing text strings for ease of localization.
- Resolving any currency, time, date, or numbers issues.
- If necessary, enabling double-byte characters or bidirectional writing.
- Creating an I18n-friendly build methodology.
- Preparing an I18n test plan.
- Preparing a localization kit.
- Carrying out training on I18n.
- Introduction of I18n tools and any required tool training.
4) Testing – includes client-driven I18n and DBCS-enablement testing, bug reporting/fixing and regression testing.
© Copyright 2023 Globalization Partners International.
® All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
All graphics used in this report were provided by Flikr, Google Images and other free internet resources for pictures.