German website globalization (G11n) is a two-step process, including German website internationalization (I18n) and German website localization (L10n). Website internationalization deals primarily with the functionality of a website, enabling back-end technologies to function or support any language and locale, in this case, German. Localization deals primarily with the front-end or linguistic and cosmetic aspects of a website, including locale-specific content, cultural correctness, translations, and site design.
Whether your project is simple (such as a straight HTML-based German website) or complex (such as a dynamic, database-driven German web application), the website internationalization process is the first step in ensuring your website’s global interoperability. During German website internationalization, any language- or culture-specific assumptions in your website’s code base is “neutralized”; your website will then be primed for efficient localization into German.
Your localization company should have solid experience in handling German Web site internationalization issues, including:
- Reviewing and analyzing the source website.
- Resolving issues related to German address, time, date, and numerical formats.
- Externalizing text strings for ease of German translation.
- Website testing, including bug reporting and fixing.
You will need to provide your localization company with the following information, collectively referred to as a “Website Internationalization Kit.” This information allows your localization company to analyze your website and to determine its German internationalization requirements. This kit includes:
- URL of the website(s).
- Any passwords or login instructions.
- Summary of website architecture.
- Summary of any technologies and/or development tools used to develop the website.
- Any source code for the website including HTML/XML, web-driven applications, applets, database servers, multimedia products such as FLASH presentations, and web applications such as online calculators or surveys.
© Copyright 2022 Globalization Partners International.
® All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
All graphics used in this report were provided by Flikr, Google Images and other free internet resources for pictures.