Concrete5 is an open source content management system (CMS) based on PHP programming language. During the last few years, many features have been added to improve localization support. Concrete5 allows users to easily manage their web content and site structure. Additionally, Concrete5 represents a powerful and flexible framework that can be customized using third-party components based on a user’s needs.
Concrete5 supports localization and allows users to deal with each language in a separate section/tree. This approach is useful because each language may have its own requirements, like reading from right to left for bidirectional languages (Arabic, Hebrew) or longer characters (German).
To enable localization for Concrete5, first go to the Multilingual Section and define target languages and locales.
Then, using the Copy Locale tree, the user can simply copy the content from the source language into the new target language.
Finally, the user will drag and drop the Switch Language Block to make it possible for end users to navigate between languages.
In March 2019, Concrete5 (8.5.0) was release which was considered a huge update. The update included the following features:
- The ability to search a website by any locate for multilingual websites.
- Image preview in the file manager.
- Enhanced logging support.
- The ability to configure password requirements.
- Automatically log users out after certain amount of time.
- Support for animated GIF thumbnails generation.
- The ability to automatically deactivate user accounts after a certain number of failed login attempts.
- Improvements to editing external links
- Emoji plugin added to the Rich Text Editor.
- Send registration notification to multiple email addresses.